Physiotherapy involves physical movement to improve general muscle function and mobility. It aims at people struggling with injuries and disabilities or any other impairment. It can also be a measure to prevent such issues from occurring. Here is what you need to know about physiotherapy and its health benefits.
How to know you need physiotherapy care
If you have consistent pain in your joints or back, visit a physiotherapist’s clinic. They will diagnose the issue and help you know if you need treatment. Doctors also recommend physiotherapy to patients after surgery, amputation, or muscle trauma.
Physiotherapy care helps people with back pain, disability, neck pain, and joint pain. Some patients that have lost mobility due to illnesses seek physiotherapy care. If you notice any of these issues, visit a physiotherapist clinic. They will identify the problem and suggest treatment.
Types of physiotherapy
Physiotherapists use different methods for treatment and prevention. Physiotherapy care is diverse and aimed at a variety of issues. For example:
- Geriatric physiotherapy is for older people with illnesses or injuries due to age. Geriatric physiotherapy takes place at home, in hospitals, or clinics.
- Pediatric physiotherapy focuses on young children or infants who have disorders. It aims to prevent and treat these disorders.
- Sports physiotherapy– sportsmen and women often get injuries due to strenuous exercise. Physiotherapy allows them to heal faster from the injuries they get.
- Orthopedic physiotherapy helps people with back, neck, or joint pain caused by injury.
- Neurological physiotherapy treats problems affecting the brain, nervous system, or spinal cord. These can cause a lack of balance, loss of mobility, and muscle weakness.
- Cardiovascular physiotherapy helps with increasing strength in the lungs and the heart. It helps people affected by asthma and chest problems.
Each branch has a specialized physiotherapist with training to deal with specific problems. Physiotherapists use diverse methods depending on what they are treating.
Techniques used in physiotherapy
There are various ways physiotherapists use to treat different conditions. Some of the methods ensure effectiveness depending on the patient’s issue.
Acupuncture is where physiotherapists insert needles at specific points to ease muscle tension. It requires the physiotherapist to have the qualifications to do this technique. They can recommend specific physical exercises that target muscles to relieve affected areas. Some activities include stretching, balancing, using various tools, and Yoga.
Strapping uses specialized tape that wraps to specific areas to relieve muscles. They can also massage, using pressure to stretch injured muscles. It helps to release tension and increase blood circulation.
Electrotherapy passes an electric current on the affected part. It enables blood flow and relieves pain. Another method is hydrotherapy, a technique where physiotherapists help patients exercise in water. They also use cold and hot water to stimulate muscles and ease the pain.
There are many other techniques used during physiotherapy. Some methods have been effective in treating and preventing problems patients have.
Many patients have improved their quality of life through physiotherapy. You can even do physiotherapy in the comfort of your home with the help of a professional. If you need a physiotherapist, reach out to us and start your treatment as soon as possible.